07 May 2007

I apologize.

I was wasting time at work recently by scanning the blogs that blogs I like to read link to….does that make sense? It’s like, I go to Looped & Stretchy and click on the Grumperina link…then from Grumperina I’ll click on each one of her linked blogs…because I have an enormous amount of time to just cruise blogs. Anyway. I was cruising blogs (instead of working—like they pay me, or studying—because it was the end of the day and only one other person was here) and I would scan down the page. If there were no pictures I wouldn’t stop to actually read anything. Which leads me to apologize to the five of you who read my madness here even though I’ve been lax about posting pictures with my once a month posting. Today I have pictures and I will do my best to keep the pictures and posts coming more often than once a month.


The Shetland Triangle.

I’ve been thinking about this piece since I saw it on brooklyntweed. His is made in this Sundara yarn in a rich wine color. As an aside, I realized I only wanted to figure out how to dye yarn because I can’t afford to buy her stuff and thought that maybe, just maybe I’ll be able to come close to what I think her stuff looks like.

So, I finally ordered Wrap Style when I got my LOTR special edition set from Amazon.com with a gift certificate my brother and his wife gave me for Christmas. Then I was bored one day and as I cruised the internet I landed on the Handpainted Yarn website. Their yarn is really quite inexpensive. I ordered two hanks of laceweight in two different colors…that’s right, four hanks of laceweight for about $30 delivered.

You see where I’m going with this… I’ve got the pattern and the yarn on hand, and despite fiftyleven other WIPS I converted the laceweight from hanks to center pull cakes (an arduous process to say the least) and started the triangle.

Here it is in it’s preblocked form. I think it’s cool, you can see the leaves in a raised form.



The specs: (I've been wanting to do this forever! I'm not sure I'll ever do it again, because really, I'm just not this organized.)

Started: April 23, 2007
Finished: May 6, 2007

Yarn: Handpaintedyarn.com Laceweight in Avellanas LC, it's an olive color with coppery touches and a brown sheen. Hard to explain, but really pretty, especially in the sunlight. I held the yarn double for a more substantial wrap....shawl...thing.

Needles: Addi Needles in US size 6

Modifications: I can't figure out how to do the weird provisional-knit in a circle cast on that's called for in most patterns. I usually end up with a knotted ball from which I am unable to extract the waste yarn from. So, after tossing my knot into the trash I dug out Miriam's Seraphim pattern and did the cable cast on she calls for. I cast on 5 stitches with the cable cast on, worked one row: K2, yo,K1, yo, K2, and had the seven stitches she called for and started the pattern from there. Other than that I did 10 repeats of the body so that I had a larger shawl. My mother simply requested that it not look like she was trying to use a handkerchief as a shawl.

This is the first piece I've blocked and I think it went okay. There are things I don't really understand about the process but I winged it and when I woke up this morning it was still securely attached to the carpet, so I guess I did okay.

Here it is blocking. I just sat and stared at it in wonder as it dried.




I've actually made a lace shawl. Amazing! You'd think from reading this post that I was a real knitter!!!



On the surgery front things are back in a waiting/holding pattern. I had my consultation with the surgeon on Thursday. The woman in my doctor's office was dragging her feet about making the request to change the surgeon so I just kept the surgeon she assigned me and got in to see him the next day. His staff gave me all the information I need about my pre-op testing and said I should expect this portion of the process to take 4 to 6 weeks. **sigh** So, I wait.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please let people comment.

07 May, 2007 17:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is beautiful!!!! You must bring it on Wednesday, if you haven't already given it to your mom. Your knitting speed amazes me! I can't believe you've finished another project!

08 May, 2007 18:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All Hail the Queen!

the shawl is sooo pretty :)

10 May, 2007 12:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home