27 October 2005

cables and books and hooks...oh my!

Alright. I think the saga with the cell phones is over. He’ll have to figure out the rest of it on his own. God willing and the creek don’t rise.

I volunteered last night for LA Works at APLA. It was nice. I’m going to try to do it again. I’ve already signed up for the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

Yesterday I was in a frenzy to find a birthday gift for my friend Erin. I decided she should learn to crochet, because doesn’t that make everything better some days? :)


I headed down to Michael’s. It was a nice walk, and it’s been a long time since I’ve done any walking. I got her a ball of Sugar and Cream, a skein of Simply Soft, the three hook set and a book on learning to crochet. I showed the book to Christine, who had recently learned, and she said she thinks it’s good for a beginner. So, I’ll let you know if Erin likes the stuff:




I also bought myself a little something. I resisted the urge to buy any yarn; although I do need yarn for three afghans…xmas is a coming. Anyway, back to my purchase. I’ve been thinking a lot about learning more knitting and upping my skills. I’ve been eye-ing this book in the Knit Picks catalog for quite a while and Michael’s had six or seven copies. I would have loved to have gotten money off, but I wanted it bad enough to pay full price.
Here is the newest member of my knitting book family, Scarf Style:




I didn’t get a chance to look thru it beyond the cursory first flip until I got home from Priscilla’s. I started reading the patterns I like and realized that I might be able to do one of them without any help. I’ve been watching Elena, one of the Burbank SnB ladies, work on a cable knit sweater. She uses a dpn as her cable needle. I have my infamous size 11 bamboo dpns so I decided to give it a try. Here are pictures of the picture from the book, and what I accomplished. I’m so proud of myself…here comes the fall….. I think I dropped a stitch and tried to pick it up…..I thought I had, it looks fine in the front, however, there’s some funky long loop in the back. UGH! Well, I know I can do it, and I also know I need to be really careful when I do decide to do it for real.











I think that’s all the news that’s fit to print today…..Oh, hold on. Off needle topics, I got a call from the University of Phoenix today in response to a request for information. Don’t places just send out mailings anymore? Anyway. They sent me to the International student section because I didn’t get my HS Diploma in the 50 states….But wait, St. Croix is a US Territory, under the jurisdiction of the US Dept of Education. Oh, it doesn’t matter, it’s not one of the 50 states. Okay, moving right along. So, you want to know about our Nursing program. Yes, I do. Well do you have your RN? No, do I need an RN. Well, yes, we don’t accept students into the program unless they have an RN. Oh. All I could think was Thank God for an easy out on this one. Oh, and I am still wait listed at Antioch if anyone is keeping track.

That’s all for today…..the stocking has been untouched and the shawl is coming along nicely! Hopefully, Victoria will make an appearance and show me that edging thing. ;)

ttfn!

tb

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stupid spam commenters.

"Scarf Style" is great. I broke down and bought it a few months ago 'cause I want to make the "Backyard Leaves" pattern and like a lot of the other ones enough to make them. (That pattern you're doing is just begging to be knitted up in grey alpaca and given away.) Congratulations on your purchase...

28 October, 2005 11:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That scarf looks good! How hard was it? Do you think I could handle something like that? I just wish I didn't have too many scarves already for our warm weather here in L.A. There are some beautiful ones in that book.

28 October, 2005 11:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home