21 May 2007

Photoless Update

Grandma's Shawl

I got the yarn for Grandma's shawl in on Friday. It's gorgeous. It's working up beautifully. I'm not using either of the patterns I mention below. I didn't even bother swatching for Morning Glories, although I think I would use this yarn for that project. I did try out the Japanese Feather Stole and the yarn didn't like the pattern. I tried to swatch it with the Zephyr Laceweight I got as a "try it before you buy it" sample I got from Sarah's Yarns, and I didn't like the way that looked either. I was tempted to try out the cashmere sample I got, but was sort of eh on the project by then. So, I went back on line and found this pattern. The yarn is a bit heavier than DK weight. It's along the same lines in terms of thickness as Red Heart, but a much denser feel. It's so nice!

Here are a couple of pictures I snagged from MAGknits. My yarn is a creamy white.

















I called Grandma yesterday to ask her how to cook something and she asked if I was done with it already. I wanted to say: Whoa Lady! (actually I might have said that...). What I'm sure I said was: No Grandma, I only started it on Friday night, but I am working on it. I think she would love to have it for Grandpa's party, but I'm not sure I can swing it. It goes quickly, but it's a long piece of knitting. I'll aim for a finish date of June 12, but I doubt I can pull it off. Three days and I've got about 10 inches and 35 of the 59 rows done in the first part of the pattern.

Also, it's pretty heavy and the idea of "blocking" it frightens me. What's the deal with sending knitting to the dry cleaners for blocking? I'm scared what ever their process is will damage the yarn...the color, the feel, you know. If you have any suggestions for me I would greatly appreciate them.

Stitch-n-Pitch

The Stitch-n-Pitch is tomorrow. I'm tired and I need to be in the office by 7:30am at the absolute latest to get in a full day before leaving for the SnP. We're taking the party bus from Unwind, and by some freak happenstance there is a "Tevana B. party" within the Unwind party. The girls think this is hilarious. Either Stephanie will be thrilled that I've gotten so many people to come with or will ban me from the party next year. We'll see. I don't know if I'll go to the SnP again, but if I do I might try out the A Mano party....just a thought.

surgery news

I have gotten the approval for the procedure (along with the removal of my gall bladder if necessary), and just found out that I also have the approvals for all of the pre-op stuff I need. This is a little exciting, but I fear the surgeon's staff will do something to eff it up. We'll see.

**Updated to add: The cardiologist wanted to see my records and labs before calling me to set an appointment. The surgeon's staff sent that info over today. The gastroenterologist has to see me in the office before they'll set up the requested procedure and that's the second week in June. The pulmonologist is so busy they can't see me until July...wait, make that June 29th...yeah. I think I'm ready to throw in the towel on this and just stay the way I am.

Okay, so it's not picture less, but the pics are not of my work. Here's to hoping my work will live up to the beauty of this design.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'freak happenstance':D Hmm
I was the one who asked Stephanie if my husband and I could sit with the "Tevana B Party"even if we were not going to take the bus.If that thing took a whole life of its own that is not my problem;)but I am afraid you are not going to live that one down- too bad LOL
That shawl is soo beautiful. Ill bet you you can finish it! The designer, Sauniell, is just so talented..
Congratulations on the approvals!!

21 May, 2007 14:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear that you are "approved!" Don't give up! How many people are in the Tevana B party? What am I missing out on?

21 May, 2007 14:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.worldknit.com/howto/yarncare.html

That page shows you all the fabric care symbols that appear on clothes and yarn (dry cleaning specs at the bottom). If there is a restriction on dry cleaning (you really have to watch the solvents with some yarns), it will be indicated on the label.

Have a great time at S&P!

22 May, 2007 11:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home