13 June 2006

Nothing very interesting...

I'm still out here knitting. I've been working on this round blanket. It seems endless. I thought 3 skeins of the Simply Soft would give me the 6 feet I planned, but alas it was not meant to be. I think it might take 5 skeins to get the width I desire. I'm about half way thru the third skein and still only about 40 inches across....perfect baby blanket size, but not so good for two grown men to snuggle under. I'll keep going until the size is correct. They love me and it's worth it.

I have two socks in process. The Gentleman's Sock from Knitting Vintage Socks. I've been enthralled with them since Grumperina made them in black. I couldn't get my hands on the black yarn that she used, and decided on the navy blue Lang Jawoll (I think that's how you spell it). I don't have pictures, I don't think I can take a picture as nice as hers and the detail won't show...so why bother.

I also started a pair of Jaywalkers. I'm using the very first sock yarn I bought. I got it in NY last December. I can't remember if I ever posted about it, but I loved it. It's Regia, and varigated in shades of grey. So pretty. I had a pause when she handed me the size one Crystal Palace needles, but I talked myself off the ledge and started the sock on the LIRR! It was wonderful, working with the tiny needles, creating A SOCK!



But there were some difficulties, the needles were split on the tips and snagging my beautiful yarn:



And Crystal Palace sent me replacements:



It was great! But I'd moved on to new yarn and other sock patterns. Then I got swept away with the Jaywalker fever of Daniella and Clare. So, I dug out my new Crystal Palace needles and got to work. To my chagrin, the replacements were in WORSE shape than the original set. **sigh** So much for Crystal Palace needles. So, now I've got 10-8 inch size 1 bamboo dpns, and not one good set in the bunch.

I did have a set of Clover dpns in the correct size and I began my Jaywalkers. I decided to do the larger size, but I think they're going to be too big. I'll wait until I have more than an inch and a half to pull it on and see. I won't trouble you with photos of it, there's not much to see.

And I do pick up the Lady E once in a while....she's not forgotten. I really have to pace myself because once school starts next month they'll be no yarn shopping for me!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Clover dpns are the best small gague sock needles I've worked with. The tips don't split, they're blunt enough that they don't split the yarn, and they feel nice. If I'm using dpns (which I don't much anymore, I use my Addis for Magic Loop), I go with my Clover 1s or 2s.

14 June, 2006 10:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am using Clovers for my jaywalkers, but one of them *is*split at the end. I just ignore it.
I always admired the Jaywalker pattern, but I prolly wouldn't have started mine if Clare would not have inspired me with her pretty green ones, as well as you
'pushing' me to buy that dutch sock yarn! as soon as I looked at the colors I thought they were suitable for the pattern. I am soo proud that you are going to enter into the medical work realm, and I am here for you :) go Tevana!
ps: I need a Lady E tutorial soon!

14 June, 2006 20:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home