05 July 2006

Almost Done...

I'm almost ready to give up on the pinwheel blanket. I'm at over 600 stitches and done with it...not the same kind of done as Clare with the jaywalkers, but I'm ready to give up and mail it off. I actually found a gallery of them, and there are a couple I'm really impressed with. I was trying to decide how to "finish" the blanket when I came across the gallery. Since I've been incapable of finding a pattern that I can knit onto the current live stitches I decided to put a row of eyelets and a 'few' rows of seed stitch. Whether or not I like the effect I'll be sending it off that way. Because I'll be damned if I knit an edge to graft onto this thing, and there will be no tinking back on this one.

I learned to do the magic loop, and am almost done with my first sock. I queried a sock maker at the Burbank gathering about making two socks on one circular, and she tried to explain, but I didn't get it. I'm a visual learner, and to narrow that down even further I need to actually see it done. I can't learn it from a book....well, I can, but it's not easy. However, I decided to try to "learn" the process from a tutorial on the net. I cast on the requisite 28 stitches and then the 56 for the second sock from the second ball as instructed, then I cast on the second 28 stitches from the first ball. It didn't look quite right, the instructions did not specify which end of circular to cast on the second half of the first sock's stitches, but it did say that the live ends of the cast ons should be on the same side of the needle. Yeah, mine were all in a row on two different ends of the circular and no amount of magic was going to make what I came up with work.....So, I'm hoping that Dixie will have the time to show me what I'm doing wrong.....perhaps at Burbank tonight or even Atwater tomorrow.

I made a comment last post that I don't have witty or interesting things to say. It's not that, it's that I think people are generally not very nice and use your weaknesses against you. That is why I refrain from broadcasting my hopes and dreams and fears on this page. I admire Crazy Aunt Purl's bravery.

Well, I'm off trying to look busy. This non-busy is a lot different than the Pasadena not busy...no couch to lay on here, no yahoo im to keep me entertained, no tree lined streets to wander...I miss the freedom, but not enuf to wish I was back there.

Pictures next post!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Burbank or Atwater for me this week, I'm afraid. I'm already a bit overbooked.

When I do 2 socks at once, I tend to do the toes (or cuffs, depending on how I'm doing the socks) first then arrange them on the needles and get going two at once. It's easier to visualize and a little less awkward. If you start a couple socks this week, I can show you how to arrange them next week.

05 July, 2006 09:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, I think Knitpicks has a free
downloadable pattern for 2 socks on
one circular, plus instructions.
But last time I looked I was baffled on sight. Good luck!and, 600 stitches! sheesh. Time to ship that pretty red blankie off.
Last thing, it's too bad that you have to refrain from writing about anything that is on your mind..oh well.

05 July, 2006 18:09  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

hey thanks for telling me that the beef in corned beef hash is cooked. That made me feel better.

2 socks on 1 circ: You said that you know how to do the magic loop. It's the same technique--you just have two socks instead of one. Try to think about doing each sock individually (ignoring the other) and you should be able to teach yourself. The only weird part is that you knit the second sock between two halves of the first sock.

10 July, 2006 10:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home